There are many ways to make a room feel more inviting, one of which is through window treatments ranging from simple window coverings to more stylish options like drapes, curtains, motorized shades, or even remote control blinds. Even with so many choices, the most popular window treatments today are plantation shutters and blinds. So, which window treatment is better? Keep reading for a comparison of the two to help you decide which is best for your home.
A classic, but popular choice, plantation shutters are renowned for their classy design and functionality. They are made from various materials, such as vinyl, medium-density fibreboard, wood, and more. Thanks to their versatility in color, style, and finish, plantation shutters are great for nearly every room style. Other benefits include light and air control (thanks to the horizontal slats), a long-lasting lifespan, and child-safety features. They also add significant value to your home. One drawback, however, is that they can be more expensive than essential blinds, especially with added specialty features.
Like plantation shutters, blinds are popular among homeowners due to their wide range of styles, materials choices, designs, and colors. When shopping for blinds, there are five primary types: Venetian, Roman, Roller, Blackout, and Light Filtering.
- Venetian blinds are horizontal slatted blinds made of metal, wood, or plastic that can be adjusted to control the amount of light and privacy in a room.
- Roman blinds are soft fabric blinds that fold up into neat pleats when raised and provide a sleek, elegant look for windows.
- Roller blinds are made of fabric that rolls up and down on a tube, often controlled by a chain or motorized system, and can be made in a variety of colors and materials.
- Blackout blinds are designed to completely block out light, often with a special coating or lining to prevent any light from entering the room. They are ideal for bedrooms or media rooms where light control is essential.
- Light-filtering blinds allow some natural light to enter a room while providing privacy and reducing glare. They are ideal for living spaces such as dining rooms or offices where natural light is desired, but privacy is still needed. Each class has different attributes that will ultimately influence your final decision.
One advantage of purchasing blinds is their affordability compared to plantation shutters, which can be nearly twice as expensive as base-level blinds. However, like plantation shutters, blinds can control light and temperature since they can be retracted and extended. However, they don’t tend to be very durable, and the basic fabric can fade over time.
So which window treatment should you choose for your home? Ultimately, it boils down to your unique tastes and budget. If you want something with a little more variety, consider blinds. If you’re looking for a durable, long-lasting option, try plantation shutter installation. No matter your decision, know that The Blind Guyz has everything necessary to dress up your home’s windows, including the highest quality plantation shutters and blinds. With more than 20 years of experience and a professional, customer-focused team at your disposal, we’ll help you find the perfect window treatment solution for your home. For more information, call us today at 770-691-6071!